On the 12th of December, Black Lives Matter activists gathered at Marbury Plaza on Good Hope Road to demand community control of all police and the names of the “special police” who killed Alonzo Smith. His mother spoke at the rally, reporting that the coroner’s office had found he was beaten to death. On November 1, DC Police were summoned to Marbury Plaza, finding Alonzo dead and in handcuffs in the custody of the “Special Police” of Blackout Security, which provides “security” at the apartment complex.
Here are the demands made by organizers of this protest:
* Identify and charge the private police force and officers in the killing of Alonzo Smith;
* Full disclosure of what happened that night to Alonzo Smith;
* Make laws and policies around private/special police transparent;
* The United Nations or Organization of American States conduct a truly independent investigation into Alonzo’s death and DC police’s lack of transparency in this case;
* Community control over police
That’s right: organizers do not trust the Department of “Justice” (home of the FBI) any more than Cathy Lanier’s MPD and are demanding that the United Nations or OAS be in charge of this investigation.