Police arrest White House antinuclear vigiler in continuing campaign of harassment

On the morning of Saturday, March 29th, US Park Police again attacked the 33 year old antinuclear/peace vigil in front of the White House. This time they arrested the person at the vigil on a pretext charge so they could dismantle the vigil.
It didn’t work. The activist being arrested (one of many taking relief shifts for Connie) managed to place an emergency phone call and a second relief vigiler was able to reach the scene before the cops could remove the vigil.

The Park Police must have considered this a very unpleasant surprise, and demanded ID before agreeing to surrender the vigil back to its rightful owners.

This comes after the failed attempt to kill the vigil by forcibly removing or ordering removed under threat of force the tent and chair. Vigilers were able to improvise and that attack, one of a decades-long string of failed police attempts to end the “Peace park” vigil failed.

As of now, the vigil is still in place, but it has become considerably more hazardous for activists to mantain it between limitation to improvised shelter and the new danger of pretext arrests for such things as daring to speak out to tourists.


About dcdirectactionnews

This site is for news, announcements, and intelligence for the DC progressive community
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply --WARNING: do not "Comment using Facebook" or using Twitter-you expose your information to 3ed party tracking

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.